The Livi Room

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Auld Nick
Liviforever
6 posters

World Cup 2018

Liviforever
    Liviforever

World Cup 2018 - Page 2 Empty Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Liviforever Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:53 pm

Bertie Bassett wrote:Your definition of impact is an “impact sub” - every player ought to have some impact on the game; some more than others.

Yeah I know, never hear impact used in football any other way though. Or maybe as a new player coming in and having an impact.

If you asked Portugal fans if Ronaldo is an influential player for them or an impact player, i'm pretty positive it will be the former.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:02 pm

Durnford wrote:Thought Tunisia were a lot better than some people gave them credit for.

Ignoring the first twenty or so minutes when their defence was all at sea they moved the ball around well. Were wasteful in front of goal and some of their defending in the penalty area was cavalier to say the least but generally I thought they were half decent.

I know its a young side but I wonder if scoring so early played against England with some maybe being guilty of thinking the game was going to be a lot easier than it was.
    The commentators certainly thought it would be, the nonsense they were coming out with you just wanted Tunisia to equalise. Even better them going on about how hot it was, hotter than any other game there has been in Russia, oh and those midges were only attacking England players too, then them near having a psychotic breakdown at every set piece when Kane was being wrestled to the ground and them not getting a penalty. It was all getting highly amusing till Kane popped up and scored in injury time. Rolling Eyes
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:39 pm

Actually the midgies looked to be almost Scotland standards - they didn't seem to bother the Tunisia guys though; maybe they'd discovered Avon Skin So Soft?
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:56 pm

Liviforever wrote:
    Bertie Bassett wrote:Your definition of impact is an “impact sub” - every player ought to have some impact on the game; some more than others.

Yeah I know, never hear impact used in football any other way though. Or maybe as a new player coming in and having an impact.

If you asked Portugal fans if Ronaldo is an influential player for them or an impact player, i'm pretty positive it will be the former.

Of course they would, they’re his biggest fans, they wear Ronaldo-tinted-specs

Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:10 pm

Cracking goal by Modric in Croatia's win over Argentina, looks like they're heading home after the group stage. Excellent chance for Iceland to get through now.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:15 pm

Yeah, I’ve never seen such a disjointed Argentina side; shocker of a howler from Cabbalero for the first goal; cracker from Modric & useless defending for the 3rd. The defence couldn’t pass water but had no creative midfielder to pass to anyway, the midfield was a bunch of headless chickens, Aguero & Messi were isolated & no one could get the ball to them anyway.

If Iceland beat Nigeria then Iceland & Croatia can manufacture a result to knock Argentina out, so Argentina need Nigeria to get at least a point & preferably 3. Even then Croatia & Iceland could work a result to eliminate them.

The manager looked completely out of his depth, he reminded me of Ally McLeod against Iran back in 78. Why take Aguero off & replace him with Higuain? That changed nothing. He needed to change the midfield first. Banega & Pavon made a bigger impact when they came on against Iceland than the guys that started that match but neither started again despite 3 changes & Banega didn’t get on at all. They needed someone like Banega to link defence & attack thru midfield. The number 3 & the two wing backs were woeful.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:42 am

Well Group D just got interesting, Argentina aren't out of it just yet, with all to play for in the last game. Actually hoping Nigeria beat them and go through with Croatia now.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:14 am

It’s still stacked against them; they need to win first & foremost & the way Nigeria played against Iceland that isn’t a foregone conclusion... but let’s assume they win, if they win Croatia win the group regardless so they could contrive to lose to Iceland knowing they have already qualified, almost certainly as group winners. If Iceland win by 1, Argentina need to win by at least 2 - assuming goals scored is the tie breaker - that requires a major overhaul in their style of play.

In their favour is the fact they faced elimination in the qualifying group until Messi’s hat trick in the last game... if they can draw on that then just maybe they can pull themselves through.

I would really like Messi to win the trophy just to shut up that argument used to determine the G.O.A.T.; which is a flawed argument IMO - George Best is often quoted as the greatest Northern Irish player of all time if not the greatest UK player & he never even played in the World Cup & won only a few trophies in his Man U career; so why does Messi have to win the WC to truly be the G.O.A.T?
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:43 pm

He's always going to get compared to Maradona, different era though so it's an unfair comparison. At club level Messi has done it all, and mesmerized us with his skills.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:50 pm

I genuinely think he’s the best I have ever seen (either live or on TV). Just wish he could show it this tournament.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:42 pm

Maybe he will in the next game, a Messi hattrick to get them through to the next round.

Some cracking entertainment today, Belgium at last showing what they can do, it was 5-2 going on 10. They have the players to win this tournament, maybe this will be their time.

Germany somehow pulled off a great escape, well at least kept themselves in the tournament anyway. Can they do it again, you never know, and you really can't write them off.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:25 am

They didn't deserve to win but what a superb goal to do so.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:25 pm

England strolling it against Panama, and Kane going above Ronaldo and Lukaku in the Golden boot table. Doubt their last group game will be worth watching, unless they want to play for 1st & 2nd place and get an 'easier' opponent.

Would expect Belgium to rest Lukaku after him taking a knock against Tunisia, if England had any sense they do the same and rest up some of their important players. Need to use the head in Tournaments, rest up players when you can to save their energy levels for games that count.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:15 pm

As things stand they will be facing Japan or Senegal but Columbia or Poland could alter that.

The pundits were already talking about whether they should try to win the group or try to come second because if they win it they would face Brazil & if they come second they would face Mexico...but that is only if they get through the second round match.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:01 am

Colombia and Senegal would give them a tough game, no guarantee England would get past either of them in the next round.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:24 am

Exactly. Keane & Bilic were both saying “you deal with the next game”; to Gary Nev’s credit he said they can’t go in with the mentality “we are going to get a specific result” they have to go in to win each game. He & Wrighty played up to Roy Keane saying they were looking so far ahead they’d won the competition already & it was a bit of a laugh but it was all brought on by the host asking the question of do they now play for second place to avoid Brazil in the quarter finals; being typically dismissive of other sides they have to face first.
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:40 pm

Have to say personally I think this has been one of the worst world cups based on the performance of the so-called big teams. That being said I wonder if that is being a little disrespectful to those teams that have picked up their game (Croatia for example).

With Argentina and Germany still struggling to make the playoffs; a very disappointing Brazil; with Portugal over reliant on the performance of one man; that kind of leaves Spain and France as the strongest probables although England could be dark horses.

I also kind of expect Russia to be there or thereabout with their home support advantage (even though they are a fairly poor team by WC standards).

Personally despite their poor performance I still don't know what to make of Germany; it would be a brave man that writes them off.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:48 pm

Especially after pulling the the win out the bag against Sweden.

Uruguay might have a big say in it; although as things stand as I type they will be playing Spain next.
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:08 pm

Must say Alan Sheerer's really getting on my t1ts

The guy has an opinion on everything and everyone else is wrong.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:41 pm

Have you only just noticed?

I think VAR got Spain’s second equaliser correct.
    I think VAR got Portugal’s penalty correct.
    I think VAR got Iran’s penalty wrong.
    I think VAR (& the pundits) got Ronaldo’s potential red card wrong.

Personally, I’m not bothered if a review takes a few minutes but they need to get the decision correct.

I just wish Iran had grabbed a winner with that chance after the pen & hope Uruguay give Portugal a pasting.

Durnford

Post by Durnford Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:03 pm

Bertie Bassett wrote:Have you only just noticed?

I think VAR got Spain’s second equaliser correct.
    I think VAR got Portugal’s penalty correct.
    I think VAR got Iran’s penalty wrong.
    I think VAR (& the pundits) got Ronaldo’s potential red card wrong.

Personally, I’m not bothered if a review takes a few minutes but they need to get the decision correct.

I just wish Iran had grabbed a winner with that chance after the pen & hope Uruguay give Portugal a pasting.

The Ronaldo booking was an odd one - surely if its a deliberate elbow (which it appeared to be) then its a red else its accidental and no booking?
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:29 pm

Yeah, that is my take on it exactly.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:12 pm

VAR didn't actually get anything wrong, the ref checking VAR and then making his decision got it wrong. So basically you've still got hopeless officials even when the technology is in place to help them get difficult decision right.

Good use of it for Spain's 2nd goal, the linesman didn't see the number 14's foot behind Lago Aspas, VAR allowed the ref to see it properly and make the correct call.

Only way you're going to get perfect decisions all the time is to take away human error, but even having it as it's used just now should reduce the amount of bad calls.
    cptn_hooch
    cptn_hooch

Post by cptn_hooch Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:15 pm

Liviforever wrote:VAR didn't actually get anything wrong, the ref checking VAR and then making his decision got it wrong. So basically you've still got hopeless officials even when the technology is in place to help them get difficult decision right.

Good use of it for Spain's 2nd goal, the linesman didn't see the number 14's foot behind Lago Aspas, VAR allowed the ref to see it properly and make the correct call.

Only way you're going to get perfect decisions all the time is to take away human error, but even having it as it's used just now should reduce the amount of bad calls.

100% This!!! Actually really enjoyed the drama of the Spain equalizer as Iran had just scored too meaning the disallowed goal could have seen Spain go out.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:55 pm

Messi magic gets them a foot into the next round. What a first touch, then a 2nd touch taking it on the
    run before slotting it home past the keeper.

The rest of the players are working hard too, Di Maria running his arse off down the wing. Getting the ball to Messi a lot more too, so he can draw in players and make spaces for others to run into, Higuaín should've lifted the ball over the keeper and scored with a superb through ball from Messi. Much, much better from them though, same again 2nd half and they're through.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:30 am