The Livi Room

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Auld Nick
Liviforever
6 posters

World Cup 2018

Liviforever
    Liviforever

World Cup 2018 - Page 3 Empty Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Liviforever Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:10 pm

Oh dear, Nigeria penalty for holding, Argentina back to square one and needing a goal or they're out.

Iceland also in with a chance yet too, all could change at any time in this group.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:24 pm

Liviforever wrote:VAR didn't actually get anything wrong, the ref checking VAR and then making his decision got it wrong. So basically you've still got hopeless officials even when the technology is in place to help them get difficult decision right.

Good use of it for Spain's 2nd goal, the linesman didn't see the number 14's foot behind Lago Aspas, VAR allowed the ref to see it properly and make the correct call.

Only way you're going to get perfect decisions all the time is to take away human error, but even having it as it's used just now should reduce the amount of bad calls.

Erm. I do believe that VAR is an acronym for Video Assistant Referee ergo I am correct in saying VAR got it right or wrong as the case may be. Razz
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:31 pm

Argies have reverted to earlier game style in the second half & are struggling again as a result
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:48 pm

Adv Argentina now, some drama in this group.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:50 pm

Bertie Bassett wrote:
    Liviforever wrote:VAR didn't actually get anything wrong, the ref checking VAR and then making his decision got it wrong. So basically you've still got hopeless officials even when the technology is in place to help them get difficult decision right.

Good use of it for Spain's 2nd goal, the linesman didn't see the number 14's foot behind Lago Aspas, VAR allowed the ref to see it properly and make the correct call.

Only way you're going to get perfect decisions all the time is to take away human error, but even having it as it's used just now should reduce the amount of bad calls.

Erm. I do believe that VAR is an acronym for Video Assistant Referee ergo I am correct in saying VAR got it right or wrong as the case may be.  Razz

You can try and twist it any way you want but you were wrong.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:03 pm

Maradona offering his condolences to Nigeria.

World Cup 2018 - Page 3 Dgpfes10

orco
    orco

Post by orco Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:57 pm

I've often seen teams that scrape into the next round start to shine and go on to do well. It's a great competition.
    Wish we were in it! Crying or Very sad
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:49 pm

Liviforever wrote:
    Bertie Bassett wrote:

Erm. I do believe that VAR is an acronym for Video Assistant Referee ergo I am correct in saying VAR got it right or wrong as the case may be.  Razz

You can try and twist it any way you want but you were wrong.

Actually, I am not twisting anything & I am 100% correct. The Video Assistant Referee or VAR for Argentina v Nigeria was, I believe, Italian.

Here is the link to the official FIFA description of how the VAR system works...notice that the term VAR is quite obviously referring to the person not the technology. As such, I rest my case.
    https://football-technology.fifa.com/en/media-tiles/video-assistant-referee-var/
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:53 pm

Didn't think the VAR made any decisions therefore couldn't really be wrong. Thought their role was to present images for the referee to review but at the end of the day its the referee who makes the decision.

Unless, of course, you look at the VAR as akin to the linesman who, for example, will flag when a player is offside. The referee doesn't need to take their advice but its there anyway.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:24 am

Beginning to wonder if any of you have been watching.... have you not seen the ref standing on the pitch being fed verbal information from the VAR & changing his decision right there?

The VAR draws the ref’s attention to an incident - he advises the ref on what he has seen & the ref decides whether to stand by his decision, change it or review it at the screen before making his final decision. The final decision remains with the ref but the VAR doesn’t always get it right & so the ref’s decision can still be wrong.
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:08 am

Bertie Bassett wrote:Beginning to wonder if any of you have been watching.... have you not seen the ref standing on the pitch being fed verbal information from the VAR & changing his decision right there?

The VAR draws the ref’s attention to an incident - he advises the ref on what he has seen & the ref decides whether to stand by his decision, change it or review it at the screen before making his final decision. The final decision remains with the ref but the VAR doesn’t always get it right & so the ref’s decision can still be wrong.

As far as I know the VAR is simply like another linesman. He/she can only advise the referee but not instruct the referee to change his mind. For most of the big decisions (sending off's; awarding penalties etc.) the referee has gone to watch the situation for himself on the TV although there have been some occasions when he's simply waved the claims away.

Actually this is quite different from the Rugby situation where, on occasions, the referee will ask "can I award the try; yes or no" where he is pretty much delegating his responsibility to the guy in the wee room.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:45 pm

Yep the ref makes the final decision, nothing to do with VAR getting it wrong when he makes that decision. And nobody is actually privy to what is being communicated to the ref so Bertie is just making that up to try and dig himself out of the hole that is getting deeper by the post.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:00 pm

VAR helping the Ref get the South Korean first goal decision right, good stuff.

Germany are kaput. Some turnabout for Sweden too, topping the group to go through with Mexico in 2nd place, fantastic stuff.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:11 pm

Liviforever wrote:Yep the ref makes the final decision, nothing to do with VAR getting it wrong when he makes that decision. And nobody is actually privy to what is being communicated to the ref so Bertie is just making that up to try and dig himself out of the hole that is getting deeper by the post.

Read my posts, read the official FIFA page on VAR. Its not difficult really. You just don’t like it when I’m right. First you try to say that the VAR is not a person, which it clearly is; now you’re trying to say I said something I didn’t say.

Let me make myself clear... the ref makes the final decision; sometimes that is after consulting the VAR which may or may not include reviewing the footage himself. If he overturns his original decision based on information received from the VAR & if he does that without reviewing the footage himself, then he is relying on the VAR being correct. It’s still his decision but it is entirely possible that the VAR got it wrong.

Now, onto the demise of Germany... can’t believe they are out after digging out the win over Sweden. It really is anyone’s to win & England might just have enough to go a long way.
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:08 pm

Love the line - the last time Germany failed to get through the group stages was in 1938 and they took it rather badly.
    orco
    orco

Post by orco Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:30 am

On last night's news they were bemoaning the fact that Germany is out, so denying the best England team in years the chance to beat them! I nearly spewed. tongue
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:32 am

I didn’t hear that (the 1938 comment) but it was mentioned during the Germany v Sweden game & my son said something similar.

At the other end of that, Germany going into Russia is often thought of as the beginning of the end of their European dominance... so it is again, at least for now.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:02 pm

Bertie Bassett wrote:
    Liviforever wrote:Yep the ref makes the final decision, nothing to do with VAR getting it wrong when he makes that decision. And nobody is actually privy to what is being communicated to the ref so Bertie is just making that up to try and dig himself out of the hole that is getting deeper by the post.

Read my posts, read the official FIFA page on VAR. Its not difficult really. You just don’t like it when I’m right. First you try to say that the VAR is not a person, which it clearly is; now you’re trying to say I said something I didn’t say.

Let me make myself clear... the ref makes the final decision; sometimes that is after consulting the VAR which may or may not include reviewing the footage himself. If he overturns his original decision based on information received from the VAR & if he does that without reviewing the footage himself, then he is relying on the VAR being correct. It’s still his decision but it is entirely possible that the VAR got it wrong.

Now, onto the demise of Germany... can’t believe they are out after digging out the win over Sweden. It really is anyone’s to win & England might just have enough to go a long way.

You're a trier Bertie i'll give you that. Laughing

Colombia top the group and Japan go through on yellow cards, bummer for Senegal.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:22 pm

I’m also consistently saying the same thing...because I am correct. Laughing

Aye, there have some dramatic turnarounds on the last round of group games.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:38 pm

That was a great game to get the KO stage underway, pity Argies couldn’t grab a last ditch equaliser to force extra time. French were the better side though & M’Bappe confirmed what we all knew from his CL exploits for Monaco; he is quite possibly the next big thing.

Sorry to see Messi go out but his talent deserves a better team around him & a coach that plays to his strengths.

Looking foward to Uruguay v Portugal now but I don’t expect it to be as open a game as this one. Hoping Uruguay get through but suspect it will be Ronaldo who will end up being the difference.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:55 pm

I thought France would win but they made it hard for themselves, dunno how the feck Argentina got themselves in front either, France were by far the better team. Some cracking goals from both teams though, and Mbappe was outstanding.

France, Belgium, Uruguay and Brazil are looking the best teams. Spain are class too but they've struggled so far and will need to step up their game, Croatia could surprise us too though, they've breezed through the group games.

Suarez v Pepe will be interesting, Pepe is a dirty fecker and Suarez has a screw loose, could be fun and games for the ref trying to handle the two of them.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:20 pm

Great move for the opener by Cavani who made excellent use of his face to score.

Suppose it gives a whole new meaning to the phrase “off his face” Laughing
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:24 pm

Well Suarez is certainly up for this game, great cross for the goal and almost scored from a free kick there.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:23 pm

Yes, 2-1 Cavani again.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:41 pm

Good header from Cheatingdivinggit for the equaliser.

Sublime finish from Cavani to restore the lead, I expected it to be in row z when it came to him but it was in from the moment it left his boot.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 6:48 am