The Livi Room

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+22
Lexi Collector
Geraden
Achilles
mozam76
KeekTennant
spiggle
cptn_hooch
LiviCub
Contemporary
orco
Smithy
Durnford
sunderland
Liviforever
Auld Nick
forzalfc
Edward snowdon
ianlivi
djs9750
Afro
EdinburghLivi
LiviLion
26 posters

Transfer Rumours, Players In/Out

Durnford

Transfer Rumours, Players In/Out - Page 17 Empty Re: Transfer Rumours, Players In/Out

Post by Durnford Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:02 am

Achilles wrote:
    EdinburghLivi wrote:Yep, agree with Lexi. No idea why the cup isn't there.

The idea of playing Sives at right-back is an interesting one but I can't help but feel he'd be too slow. Very good in the opposition box though, it has to be said.

Going by what Ive seen of Millen, id rather have Sives at right back.

Think Millen would be a better wing back; was pretty sound against Stenny; got a bit of a roasting from the drunken pars fans though.

I am hugely in favour of three central defenders of Gallagher (if available) Gordon and Neill. Gordon seemed ot lack a bit of pace tracking back but was rock solid as a defender and a good organiser; Neill and Gallagher are very similar players - certainly they won't miss much in the air.

Smithy
    Smithy

Transfer Rumours, Players In/Out - Page 17 Empty Re: Transfer Rumours, Players In/Out

Post by Smithy Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:17 pm

Achilles wrote:
    EdinburghLivi wrote:Yep, agree with Lexi. No idea why the cup isn't there.

The idea of playing Sives at right-back is an interesting one but I can't help but feel he'd be too slow. Very good in the opposition box though, it has to be said.

Going by what Ive seen of Millen, id rather have Sives at right back.

Totally agree as that's my thoughts exactly, weak link in the team.
    LiviCub
    LiviCub

Post by LiviCub Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:01 pm

Darren Cole as captain? Love it. We go from one mad hatter in Talbot to another in Cole.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:00 pm

The od RB weakest link problem, though at least Millen is a natural RB and with a few games could grow into being a decent one, has pace, puts in a good cross, and has a good shot on him. Bit harsh judging him on the Real Sociedad and Motherwell games as they're clearly at a higher level than he's going to be playing against in the Championship.

If we have Gallagher and Gordon in defence it at least gives us a decent spine and should help the young full backs out defensively too.
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:45 pm

Liviforever wrote:The od RB weakest link problem, though at least Millen is a natural RB and with a few games could grow into being a decent one, has pace, puts in a good cross, and has a good shot on him. Bit harsh judging him on the Real Sociedad and Motherwell games as they're clearly at a higher level than he's going to be playing against in the Championship.

If we have Gallagher and Gordon in defence it at least gives us a decent spine and should help the young full backs out defensively too.

Agree about Millen; a few competitive games should sort the chaff from the wheat.

Think Neill was pretty impressive actually and we have him on a two year contract hence if he does well and someone comes in for he we at least get a fee.

Longridge and Gibbons have looked better each game they've played.

I assume with all the upheaval that mean's Hugo Faria will not be joining us? Wasn't in the team shot anyway.

Incidentally not sure why they have the team shot with some of the team wearing away colours - looks quite untidy actually.

Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:54 pm

The No8 shirt was the only one left still to fill in the squad on the OS, think Faria was getting it but if Gallagher has been signed then I think Cole will move into midfield and get the No8 and Gallagher will take his  No4 shirt as a CD.

Looks like the players in our away strip are Livi youth moved into the first team and the ones in the home strip are new signings and the ones signed back up/still here from last season that have played in the first team regularly. The youth players will prob only get the occasional sub appearance and make up the numbers for our subs.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:09 pm

Probably some contractual requirement to have both kits displayed...but let's stop calling it the "away" kit, it is the second kit or the change kit, we will wear it for colour clashes and contractual obligations and it won't necessarily only be worn for away games

Also, there is still nothing official on Big Dec's return....so let's not count our chickens on that just yet.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:21 pm

Ok boss.

Durnford

Post by Durnford Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:41 pm

Bertie Bassett wrote:Probably some contractual requirement to have both kits displayed...but let's stop calling it the "away" kit, it is the second kit or the change kit, we will wear it for colour clashes and contractual obligations and it won't necessarily only be worn for away games

Also, there is still nothing official on Big Dec's return....so let's not count our chickens on that just yet.

Agree about Gallagher but his picture appearing on the squad photo is damn strange unless he's there as a demonstration of loyalty from Burchill?

Not sure there can be any contractual obligation for the away kit; it has the same advert/sponsors on it after all.
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:31 pm

As a matter of interest could Gallagher play as a trialist?

Wonder if Burchill would introduce him as a substitute to see what kind of reception he gets?
    forzalfc

Post by forzalfc Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:38 pm

Seems a bit strange that the no.12 and 14 are still available as well, as if we were looking to sign 2 more players.

Also, looking at the squad numbers, seems a bit strange with Gary Glen moving down numbers... he in the reserves now?
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:41 am

Durnford wrote:
    Bertie Bassett wrote:Probably some contractual requirement to have both kits displayed...but let's stop calling it the "away" kit, it is the second kit or the change kit, we will wear it for colour clashes and contractual obligations and it won't necessarily only be worn for away games

Agree about Gallagher but his picture appearing on the squad photo is damn strange unless he's there as a demonstration of loyalty from Burchill?

Not sure there can be any contractual obligation for the away kit; it has the same advert/sponsors on it after all.

The change kit will need to make a number of appearances contractually in order to get it seen & therefore advertised. It is & has been standard practice & usually happens when there is no clash of colours & both teams end up wearing their respective change kits.

I would rather we adopted the North American system as seen in the NFL & NHL where there is a definite home kit & a definite away kit; usually the home kit is anything other than white & the away kit is white, this makes it obvious to TV viewers which team is at home & which is away. That said it probably wouldn't work in Football as there are so many teams whose first choice kit is white.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:35 am

I still call Morrisons Safeway so not much chance of me calling the Away strip the 2nd strip. Laughing
    forzalfc

Post by forzalfc Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:40 pm

Darren Moffat + Ross King released...

http://livingstonfc.co.uk/youth-duo-move-on/

Just days after they were in the team photo... ye think someone would've known. Be good to get a photo with the Petrofac Cup in it right enough..
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:48 pm

Maybe punted to pay McDougall some of his dosh back. Gallagher might not get signed up after all either, be gutting if he's playing for Falkirk instead.
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:59 pm

forzalfc wrote:Darren Moffat + Ross King released...

http://livingstonfc.co.uk/youth-duo-move-on/

Just days after they were in the team photo... ye think someone would've known.  Be good to get a photo  with the Petrofac Cup in it right enough..

On this occasion they said by mutual consent. The guys probably wouldn't even get a place on the bench with the current team so it makes sense. We're not playing in the development league after all and I think they may be too old for the youth teams.

Never nice to say goodbye to the youngsters though - always left wondering if you're letting a potential diamond go.
    EdinburghLivi
    EdinburghLivi
    Admin

Post by EdinburghLivi Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:26 pm

Lee Miller on the bench as a trialist for us today. Hopefully just a favour as we definitely don't need to be spending more money on a striker.

Unfortunate for the young boys but completely agree that there's no point in having them in the stands particularly when we aren't playing in the development league.

Down to 24 players in the squad with Burchill unlikely to play which for me, is still too high.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:52 pm

Burchill was quoted recently saying he'd like to bring in anoher 2 players this week, that's one today with Gallagher, wonder if Faria is the other.  

We'd have a good mixture of youth and experience in all departments if Faria signed, Gordon and Gallagher are experienced players at this level, Buchanan up front brings plenty experience there too, bit lacking in midfield though.
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:53 pm

Notice Gallagher is number 14 which still leaves number 8 free?

Lexi Collector
    Lexi Collector
    Admin

Post by Lexi Collector Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:25 pm

If we sign this Portugeezer we should be aiming for the play-offs with a squad of that size. I think this season should be about stability but people obviously have other ideas. 5th would be a failure.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:52 pm

5th still brings in a fair amount of money which would def more than cover the wage bill. According to the figures that came out during the reconstruction of the leagues there's only about 16K of a difference between 4th and 5th, drops a fair bit to 6th though.
    4: £256,900 (1.43%, +£191,900)
    5: £240,731 (1.34%, +£176,731)
    6: £188,633 (1.05%, +£126,633)

That's why I was pissed when we cut our budget and dumped players like Beany and Andreu's, seemed false economy at the time as I reckon we'd easily have got a top 4 spot that season with them in the team. Bit more of a gamble this season with Sevco and Hibs having a big advantage budget wise, but from what I read when Ford released a statement it certainly looks like he's going for a top 4 play off spot.

Oh and Cole tweeted we were going to get a top 4 spot this season too but I thought he was just joking, maybe not.
    Afro
    Afro

Post by Afro Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:17 pm

If we finish 4th this season I'll be stunned. Who knows, we might get lucky but I don't see us having the quality to finish above Falkirk, Queens, Raith and Morton.

I agree that the squad is too big, given the current financial situation.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:50 pm

Why do you think Morton or Raith will finish above us Afro, both are nothing special and tbh even last season we should've been above Raith and Dumbarton.

I don't see why Falkirk and QoS are rated all that high either, though I rate them both higher than Raith and Morton.
    Lexi Collector
    Lexi Collector
    Admin

Post by Lexi Collector Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:23 pm

Afro wrote:If we finish 4th this season I'll be stunned. Who knows, we might get lucky but I don't see us having the quality to finish above Falkirk, Queens, Raith and Morton.

I agree that the squad is too big, given the current financial situation.

I don't think we're any worse than QOS or Raith and certainly not Morton. I haven't had a good look at Falkirk's squad but they've lost Rory Loy and a lot of their fans don't seem to happy with the players Houston has brought on (Paul Watson being one of them). We have a very strong backline and 2 of last seasons top scorers. Everybody knows the qualities that Cole has in defensive midfield and Hips and Pittman are 2 very good attacking midfielders at Championship level. I'd agree we're a bit lightweight in the central midfield area, but we do have players who can move into that space. I honestly don't think we should be anywhere near the relegation zone with our current options. I tend to call things as I honestly see them, and this season I think we should be looking at 4th spot. Is our squad too big for our budget? Yes.
    EdinburghLivi
    EdinburghLivi
    Admin

Post by EdinburghLivi Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:45 pm

As I said to Lexi earlier on, the club seems to make questionable decisions constantly so I'm just going to enjoy the football until the next impending disaster.

Good signing.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 7:36 am